Part of taking caring for and maintaining your lawn involves proper watering. Regular watering is essential, however, there are ways to do the job more efficiently. Knowledge of optimal watering techniques for your lawn can help you save water and money.
Use these methods to make irrigating your lawn more efficient:
- Water deeply – With irrigation, sometimes less is more. Refrain from watering too frequently and allow the water to seep into the soil. Not only is overwatering a waste, it can discourage grass from developing root systems. Deeper root growth can reach water deeper in the soil, ultimately requiring less water.
- Install smart watering devices – Update your irrigation system by installing smart irrigation tools. For example, weather-based sensors are an excellent investment. By using weather data, sensors can tell when it’s about to rain and prevent the sprinkler system from activating.
- Adjust sprinkler heads – Sprinkler systems can occasionally have poor lawn coverage. For example, when activated, they can cover driveways or sidewalks instead of targeting the grass. Inspect the sprinkler heads and ensure they are properly aligned. Consider investing in new emitters to minimize runoff or over- spray. New heads and nozzles feature more efficient water use that can save on your water bills.
- Water at dawn or dusk – Optimally, you should water at dawn or dusk, when the day is cooler. Watering during the hottest part of the day can cause water loss due to evaporation. Conversely, watering at night can encourage the growth of mould.
- Eliminate leaks – Check for any leaks in your pipes and emitters to avoid wasting water. Leaks can results in thousands of litres of water loss every year, if not addressed. Check your water pressure for signs of water loss, as this can indicate if there are leaks in the line. You can also contact landscape irrigation professionals to conduct inspections on your sprinkler system.
- Install a rain barrel – Collecting water in a rain barrel can give you a supply of water at no extra cost. It’s relatively inexpensive to acquire, and can help you save on irrigation costs in the long run. As an added bonus, rainwater is free of the chemicals found in municipal water supplies.
For more information on how to optimize your irrigation system, consult a landscape irrigation expert. Professionals can help you catch any elements of your system that may be hiking costs.
If you need to install a sprinkler system in Toronto, you can rely on Augusta Green Sprinklers. We offer quality sprinkler system design, installation, and services to suit all of your irrigation needs. Call us today at (416) 227-1666 for your free consultation.